Monday, February 27, 2012

Daytona 500

I will write this quick as the race is going on right now, I meant to have this out before the race but I got stuck writing about the Hokie's football schedule. I am not a huge gear head but I do like watching the races. There is something very American about drinking some cheap beer and watching fast cars go around in circles for hours that just appeals to me. Personally I follow Kevin Harvick the closest and he is by far the most successful racer I have ever followed. I started out rooting for Chad Little (not sure why, probably the John Deere thing (I was young)) and followed that up with a run with Ward Burton probably because I worked for Caterpillar at the time and it just made sense. I went to Harvick when Ward retired and I don't really have a firm reason for it except that I respected the struggle he must have went through effectively replacing Dale Earnhardt in the Goodwrench Chevrolet. Since then things have been on the up tick in the racing department. Kevin seems to be a very competent driver and doesn't hurt the team by doing stupid things. Hopefully this year he can maintain some of the momentum from last year and with a little more luck during the chase, along with some improved work from his pit crew. He could make another push for a championship. He has decent teammates in Paul Menard and Jeff Burton, not that that matters a whole lot but the main thing is that you hope they all get along and are able to help each other when needed. I have heard some good things about the RCR engines this year, it is still very early I know, but that could be a good sign for improvement as well. Alright back to the race Go Kevin!

P.S. I predict Earnhardt Jr. to win this one, just feels right  don't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment