Thursday, March 1, 2012

Crazy Daytona 500

So the race on Monday turned out to be a pretty memorable one and I was pretty dang close in predicting the winner. First, congrats to Matt Kenseth on the win, he seems to be one of the good ones in this sport and I don't mind him gettin to victory lane every now and again. Next, some congrats go to Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his second place finish. I know it must have killed his fans to see him finish so close but this is a great start to a new year for him. If Jimmie Johnson has more struggles like he did on Monday I would expect more resources to be funneled junior's way and he could end up in very good position at the end of the year.

To some of the bad, first there was Jimmie Johnson and Danica Patrick. I know it was Danica's fault but 3 wrecks in 3 races, do you think she's starting to think "hell maybe it's me"? It was nice to get Jimmie out of the way early although I am sure for some fans it was a little deflating to see him wreck so early. After all if your guy isn't running well and Jimmie is already done what do you root for? Which leads to Jeff Gordon's "engine situation" you know the more I think about it this may have been the perfect race except for the fact that a Ford won. Finally there was Juan Pablo Montoya vs. jet dryer truck. The jet dryer truck won and Juan Pablo is probably having the worst week he has ever had just due to the flurry of jokes that I am sure he has been dealing with on a daily basis. I know it wasn't his fault,  although I haven't heard what broke on his car to make that happen, but unfortunately he will forever be known as the guy who crashed under caution. Unless. he can start winning of course.

Kevin Harvick had a decent race and finished in 6th. I had hoped for a little better considering he started 13th but to survive this race at all is important enough and top tens are what keep you in the chase. I did have a hard time figuring out if he waited too long to make a move or he just didn't have a good enough car but it was probably a bit of both, as well as not having a good partner to make a move with. He did have a couple of nice pit stops which hopefully is a sign of things to come for this season. Next on the schedule is Phoenix International Raceway and qualifying should start tomorrow. Phoenix has been pretty good to Kevin and hopefully that trend will continue this weekend. In 18 career starts at Phoenix Kevin's average finish is 14 th with 7 top tens and 2 wins (both in 2006 for the season sweep).  He has also qualified well there with an average starting position of 19th.

Some predictions for this week: I think Harvick will get another top ten. I think Jimmie Johnson will continue to struggle, maybe it is wishfull thinking but I can't help but think that with the horrible finish on Monday combined with the penalties handed down by Nascar for chesting it is going to be hard for him and his team to start anew especially with his crew chief suspened. I also expect Dale Jr. to stay hot and challenge for another win. I just think this is going to be a break out year for him and if Hendrick starts focusing on him I feel that "the torch will be passed" and you can look for some shuffling to go on after this season. Let's hope for a good race and hopefully they only fill up the jet fuel dryers half way this week. Just in case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment