Saturday, March 10, 2012

RGIII and the Redskins

So the Redskins decided to pull the trigger and trade up for the 2nd pick in this year's draft. Now all we can do is wait watch to see if A. the trade holds up. and B. if this whole thing ends up as a positive for the struggling franchise. Personally I have stated that I do not think it is worth it to give up that much for one pick and I still believe that. Although I am not upset by this trade, I am more cautiously optimistic than anything else. The odds are in our favor that Griffin will at least be better than any qb we have had in the last 13 years so in terms of improving the position I think we will be okay. I just worry about how quickly we will be able to help RGIII get all the tools he needs to bring this team back to contention. With giving up our second round pick this year we will have to go to the free agent market to fill the biggest holes, in my opinion, which are wide receiver and offensive lineman. That could work out just fine as if the trade works out and we end up with RGIII we could be pretty attractive to some of the younger players in the league which hasn't been the case in the past. Most years we end up with older free agents who know Dan Snyder will help their retirement plans.

The other thing I worry about is whether we will end up with RGII or not. Many people assume that the Colts are gonna take Andrew Luck without question and the odds are that that will happen. However there is an outside chance that the Colts buy into the hype, see what we did to move up, and decide to use their pick on the most popular qb in the draft. Now the only downside to that, if you can call it one, is that we would end up with Andrew Luck I know it isn't really something to worry about, but being a Redskin fan I can see this trade blowing up in our face before we even get to draft in the two spot. I think Andrew Luck is a great qb as well but he is not who the Redskins are trading for and it would be interesting to see if they even kept the second pick if that situation happened. Just something to think about.

In the end I think we will be better for making this move. I don't think the Skins are done making moves before the draft and I expect they will be looking to replace that second round pick for this year as well as the number one for next year and the year after. Perhaps a sign and trade for Laron Landry will be in the works. It is hard to tell at this point, But Mike Shanahan doesn't normally part with picks without a plan to get them back somehow. It will be hard to get all those picks back but if the plan works well we get RGII, then get better on the field, then trade for other teams picks. If that all works we could end up with a franchise qb plus, if our record improves, we could receive better picks than we normally would have had through trades. Who knows how it will work out, but I will say this, RGIII will be on my back heading into the season in August. Let's hope the Redskins have turned in to geniuses and the days of these trades blowing up in our faces are in the rear view. Go SKINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment