Thursday, March 1, 2012

Robert Griffin III and the Redskins

Almost everyone has weighed in on this issue and I figured I would as well. Obviously I have no real knowledge of the situation or how much interest the Redskins have in moving up in this draft to get Griffin. All I can do is say what I think would be the best plan for this team at this point in time. First I will say that RG3 is a great talent and you don't have to be an expert to see that. Also he seems like a great student and person. I haven't heard much about his past so I assume it can't be that bad if there is anything at all to worry about. His stock seems to continually rise which in turn continually raises the price for being able to draft him.

Of course the Redskins need a quarterback and the sooner the better. Watching Rex Grossman start almost every game last year was nothing short of painfull and John Beck was no better. And RG3 definitely seems to be a can't miss prospect and would be worth every penny to sign him. The issue I have is with what it would cost the Redskins outside of money to secure his services. Many are saying that it would take this year's first, next year's first, plus two more picks anywhere from round 2-5 in this year's draft. In my opinion that is just too steep for this team. If we were a quarterback, and only a quarterback away, from winning then this would make perfect sense. However anyone who watches the Skins knows that we are way more than just a quarterback away.

To start we need offensive lineman. to protect whatever quarterback we have back there. This has been the biggest factor determining how the skins perform in my opinion. I believe that if you have a great offensive line you don't have to have a great qb, you still need a good one, just not one you have to break the bank/draft for. I believe if you have a system like the Shanaplan which uses a strong running game first to set up things in the passing game you shouldn't need the second biggest arm in the draft. And of course that strong running game is driven by the offensive line. There are plenty of lineman available in this draft and I think it would be a much more prudent use of picks to draft down, get more picks, and select offensive lineman early and often. As hard as it is to find a franchise quarterback I feel it is equally hard to find a franchise lineman. Just recently the skins selected Trent Williams as their franchise left tackle and I think the only way to judge his sophomore year would be to say it was a complete failure. He didn't seem to take any steps forward and got suspended at the end of the year for four games, pathetic really. That is why you have to stock up on good lineman and use the later picks on skill positions. To me the game is still won in the trenches and if the skins had focused more on this instead of signing the Albert Haynesworth's of the world we would be a much better team now.

I know linemen aren't the sexy picks,  but if you want a winner it is the only way to go. Do you really want what the Panther's had last year? A great rookie qb and a crappy record to show for it. I think we should surround our new qb with what he needs before he gets here and that means protecting him first. If I were to guess right now, I would probably lean towards the Skins moving up, just because right when you think you know the plan it seems to change. Either way we should be better this year, I just think we would be betterer with as many picks as possible to build depth and provide protection for whoever the new qb will be. Go Redskins!

No comments:

Post a Comment